What is the first-line treatment for seizure?
For generalised tonic-clonic seizures, sodium valproate is recommended as first-line treatment. If this is unsuitable, lamotrigine is recommended. Carbamazepine and oxcarbazepine can be considered as alternatives.
What is the emergency treatment for seizures?
What Is the Emergnecy Treatment for Seizures? Emergency treatment usually involves IV (or oral medication in some people) medication such as lorazepam; other drugs may also be utilized with this drug type (phenytoin or fosphenytoin). Treatment is needed to begin soon as continual seizures lasting 20-30 min.
What is the most common medication for seizures?
Below are 10 of the most common.
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal) Lamotrigine (Lamictal) can be used for both focal onset and generalized seizures.
- Levetiracetam (Keppra, Spritam)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin)
- Zonisamide (Zonegran)
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol)
- Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal)
- Valproic acid derivatives.
- Topiramate (Topamax)
What is best seizure medication?
March 22, 2007 – Lamictal is the best first-choice drug for partial epilepsy, while valproic acid is the best first choice for generalized epilepsy, two major clinical trials show.
What are the nursing management of seizure?
Assess your patient for signs and symptoms of seizure activity, such as his report of an aura or twitching of muscle groups, especially in his face or hands. Have an oral airway, oxygen, and suction readily available. Keep his bed in a low position with the side rails up. Consider padding them.
What to do during and after a seizure?
– Do not hold the person down or try to stop his or her movements. – Do not put anything in the person’s mouth. This can injure teeth or the jaw. – Do not try to give mouth-to-mouth breaths (like CPR). People usually start breathing again on their own after a seizure. – Do not offer the person water or food until he or she is fully alert.
What are the causes of a seizure?
Central nervous system infection. Severe central nervous system (CNS) infections caused by bacteria,parasites,or viruses can trigger seizures.
How to diagnose seizures?
If you witness an attack,take careful notes because an accurate description prevents incorrect diagnosis.
What are the precautions for seizures?
First,ensure adequate ventilation and place patients on the floor on their left side