How do you write a block quote in legal writing?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
How do you quote a quote in legal writing?
Rule: Use single quotation marks inside double quotation marks when you have a quotation within a quotation. Example: Bobbi told me, “Delia said, ‘This will never work. ‘ ” Notice that what Delia said was enclosed in single quotation marks.
How many words is a block quote in legal writing?
According to the Bluebook rules, any quotation that is 50 words or longer must be formatted as a block quote.
How many sentences is a block quote?
Long quotations For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks.
How many lines is a block quote?
How do you cite a quote from a court case?
To cite to a case in the United States Reports, list the following five elements in order:
- Name of the case (underlined or italicized);
- Volume of the United States Reports;
- Reporter abbreviation (“U.S.”);
- First page where the case can be found in the reporter;
- Year the case was decided (within parentheses).
Are block quotes single spaced in legal writing?
Guidelines for using block quotations: Do not use quotation marks. left and right margins. Single spacing is required.
When should you use block quotes?
A block quote is a long quotation, set on a new line and indented to create a separate block of text. No quotation marks are used. You have to use a block quote when quoting more than around 40 words from a source.
How do you handle a block quote?
Do not enclose the direct quote in quotation marks. Double-space the block quote. Indent each line of the block quote by ½ inch. Punctuate the quoted material with a period before the parenthetical citation – with no ending punctuation after the parentheses.
How do you list a quote in a sentence?
‘” When multiple quotation marks are used for quotations within quotations, keep the quotation marks together (put periods and commas inside both; put semi-colons, colons, etc., outside both).
When should you not use a block quote?
The dos and don’ts of block quotes: A primer
- DON’T use a block quote for a quote you obtained firsthand.
- DON’T use a block quote for any quoted segment that is both less than three full lines of text in the editing interface and fewer than five sentences.
- DON’T use quotation marks to open and close a block quote.
How do you quote a law in an essay?
To cite federal laws (also commonly referred to as statutes or acts) in APA Style, include the name of the law, “U.S.C.” (short for United States Code), the title and section of the code where the law appears, the year, and optionally the URL.
What does blocking a quote mean?
A block quotation is a direct quotation that is not placed inside quotation marks but instead is set off from the rest of the text by starting it on a new line and indenting it from the left margin. Block quotations may be called extracts, set-off quotations, long quotations, or display quotations.
Should block quotes be justified?
Quotes that are four lines or longer should be set apart from the main text in block quote format, which means they should be: Single-spaced. Indented on the right and left sides. Text justified.
How many words are in a block quote?
Click on the button above the scrolling bar on the right hand of the screen.
When to use a block quote?
– Start the block quote on a new line (typically after a colon or comma) – Indent the block of text from the left margin (usually by around half an inch) – Don’t use quote marks, but cite the source as usual – Indent the first line of each paragraph after the first if quoting more than one
What are the MLA guidelines for formatting block quotes?
Provide an introduction to the quote.
How many sentences for a block quote?
– Use block format for quotations longer than five lines or two paragraphs. – Do not use quotation marks. – Indent the entire quotation by half an inch. – Precede and follow the block quote by a blank line.