How do I stop moths eating my clothes?
Here are 5 things you can do to keep these winged pests away:
- Wash garments thoroughly before you put them away. Clothes moths are attracted to perspiration and food stains.
- Keep your wardrobe well ventilated.
- Store away clothes carefully.
- Use a natural moth repellent.
- Spritz carpets with lavender.
What repels closet moths?
Using lavender to repel clothes moths is another old homemaker’s trick. Sachets filled with lavender (and/or laced with its oil) and suspended in your closet or tucked in your drawers are said to protect woolens. They will also leave a pleasant scent behind.
What is the best way to keep moths away?
8 ways to get rid of moths
- Fill your home with cedar.
- Combine dried, crushed, and powdered herbs.
- Use a sticky trap.
- Keep your floors, carpets, and moldings vacuumed and dusted.
- Freeze any clothes or belongings that show signs of moths.
- Wash clothes that contain larvae or eggs.
- Use vinegar to help.
Is lavender a good moth repellent?
Set of Two Lavender Sachets The lavender that fills these sachets is wonderfully fragrant and said to be a natural moth repellent. Tuck them between your precious knits or carry them in your knitting bag to lightly scent your woolens.
Why do moths make holes in clothes?
Clothes moths are attracted to sweat and other secretions, so it is important to inspect for holes in susceptible areas such as under the arms, the back of the neck and cuffs, the crotch of trousers and the inside of pockets and turn-ups.
What is the lifespan of a clothes moth?
The lifecycle lasts for about 65-90 days, with the female adult moths living for about 30 days and potentially laying up to 300 eggs. The larvae that hatch from the eggs do the damage, as the adult moths themselves, known as ‘millers’, pose no threat to your knitwear.
Do moths hate mint?
Mint leaves are another effective moth repellent. Place a handful of dried peppermint in a sachet, or place loose leaves among your clothes. Peppermint oil works well, too.
How do you get rid of clothes moths naturally?
A homemade DIY natural anti-moth spray is easy to put together. Mix ¼ cup of neem oil in a 2-quart spray bottle. Fill it with water, then add a few drops of liquid soap. Shake well, and spray your solution directly on the moths.
Should you throw away clothes with moth holes?
To restore salvageable moth-eaten fabrics, repair holes with a sewing machine and thread, then return the item to the closet. If the holes in the fabric are too large or numerous to be repaired, discard the item in a trash bag sealed with twist ties. Immediately dispose of the trash bag outside.
Does Tea Tree Oil deter moths?
Use tea tree oil-soaked cotton balls to fight moths and other insects in stored clothing. Use tea tree oil’s odor-fighting power in one of the most perilous areas on earth: the locker room.
Does lavender keep moths away from clothes?
9. Make your own natural repellant – Place dried rosemary, thyme, cloves, lavender or bay leaves into a small cloth bag and hang them in your wardrobe and place them in your drawers. The oil form of these herbs, sprayed on contaminated areas and clothes, can also repel moths.
Does lavender stop moths?
Lavender oil is a good idea for scaring off clothes moths, too. Williams suggests hand-washing “vulnerable garments” with a few drops of natural essential lavender oil at the end of the season. The oil can also re-scent pouches that have faded over time.
Can clothes moths get into plastic containers?
Pantry moth larvae can chew through plastic and Ziploc bags to access food.